Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bacon and Onion Pan Fried Squash

We had a dinner party the other day and I wanted to try something new for a veggie dish. I had bought a couple of squash to serve but, as we were serving a turkey, the oven was busy so roasting was not an option. I had to find something else to do, so I Googled "sauteeing". A recipe for squash fried with bacon came up and PRESTO! We had a winner.

The inspiring recipe is here: Butternut Squash Saute (Betty Crocker), but as you can see, I made a few changes:

Ingredients:

2 medium squash, peeled and cut into cubes (I used butternut and acorn)
1/2 pack bacon
1/2 large red onion, chopped
Thyme
Salt & Pepper


To prep the squash, put it in the microwave for about five minutes to cut and peel more easily.
Cube into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
Chop bacon into small pieces and fry until it starts to crisp. 
Add chopped onion. 
Fry for a couple minutes, then add squash, thyme, salt, and pepper. 
Fry until squash is fully cooked. You will know that it is ready when you can easily slice through it with a spatula.
Serve! It's delicious and super easy. 
And some pictures of our entire turkey dinner (MMMMM!). I made the yummy Quinoa salad mentioned in another blog post and even my husband liked it (he's generally hesitant about "weird grains").




No comments:

Post a Comment